Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Snickerdoodles

IMG_0333

These have been my favorite cookies since my mom taught me how to bake.  I always made them for everyone on my mission: members, investigators, Elders I secretly wanted to marry... Of course, they were the whatever-close-enough-ingredient-you-can-find-in-a-country-where-most-people-don't-have-ovens version of Snickerdoodles.  This recipe is much better.  I had to tweak it a bit to get it to work in the humidity of DC, but I think I've got it down.

Snickerdoodles

Preheat oven to 375F.

Blend together:

1 cup butter (I use some shortening most of the time - it makes them puffier)

3/4 cup brown sugar

3/4 cup white sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

Add:

2 3/4 cup flour

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp cream of tartar (This is the real secret to the flavor and the missing secret ingredient in Korea)

If the dough is soft and gooey, refrigerate for at least an hour.

Mix:

3 tbsp white sugar

1 tbsp cinnamon

Shape the dough into 1 inch balls and roll in the cinnamon sugar.  Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake for 8-10 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I never got any cookies in Korea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blogosphere! It'll be fun knowing of your goings on. It looks like you have nice things in your kitchen--and yummy.

    ReplyDelete